Sunday, November 6, 2011

Sad Sunday Books


Sundays are the saddest day of the week for me. The weekend is over, and it's back to work tomorrow. For someone like me who thrives off 14+ hours of sleep (my past life was a bear, I think), weeks mean cranky early morning wake ups and late nights of homework.

So this Sunday, I've brought you a sad, tear jerking book that I've loved.

If I Stay by Gayle Foreman is a heart-wrenching tale of love, grief, and choices. Mia and her family are involved in a car crash. Mia, a rising orchestra star aiming to attend Julliard, is the only survivor. She stays on Earth as a ghost, watching her friends and family struggle to cope with the tragedy. And then Mia has to face the decision: should she choose to pass on when her mother, father, and little brother have all died or should she choose to live even though life will become irrevocably difficult for her.

I read this on my road trip around the East Coast with my mom. She was driving, and I was reading. And honestly, there is this one moment that just made me start tearing up. Mia is in the hospital, and as a ghost, she watches her grandparents stand by her bedside day after day, hoping for their beloved granddaughter to wake up. However, one day, Mia's grandfather sits by Mia's body alone, and he whispers into her ear that it's okay if Mia chose to pass on with the rest of her family. He would understand it if she chose to die because he understood how hard it would be to live without her family. At that point, I started crying. I didn't want my mom to see my tears, so I had to turn in my seat so my back would face her. I'm not really an emotional person, and I definitely don't like crying in front of others.

But yeah, this was a perfect book. I'd recommend it, even for people who don't like sad books. And I'd recommend Where She Went, the sequel told from Mia's boyfriend Adam's POV.

No comments:

Post a Comment