Friday, October 21, 2011

Top 5: Books to Movies

In general, whenever my bookworm friends and I discuss book to movie translations, the argument goes like this:


"Books are better than the movies."
"No way! Movies are great!"
"But you can't beat the original."
"Yeah, but movies help you visualize the book."
"I don't need to visualize it."
"C'mon. What about Harry Potter? Those were some good movies, and you got to see the actual spells."
"The books still win, though."
"NO! The HP movies were incredible!"
"The first and second ones were--"
"Alright, fine. Those ones sucked. But the rest were really good!"
"You're unbelievable..."
"I try."
Silence falls for a moment before the inevitable.
"I know! Four words: Lord of The Rings."
"Touche."


And so the conversation always ends with Lord of The Rings. Personally, I was never fond of the books, but the movies were definitely a piece of cinematic genius. Now a lot of movies out there are based on books I've never read. But for me, the movies were simply perfect. I haven't read some of the books on the list, but I know the movies are genius. Now that I think about it, the list could really be called "Top 5: Best Cinematic Translation."


5. Aladdin

4.  Forrest Gump

3.  Lord of the Rings; Return of the King

2. The Shawshank Redemption

1.  The Princess Bride
 
In my defense, it was a hard pick between #1 and #2. I love The Shawkshank Redemption. Morgan Freeman is one of my favorite actors, and his acting abilities really shine in this movie. However, The Princess Bride won out in the end because 1) I've read the book, which turned out to be a major disappointment and 2) While The Shawshank Redemption will remain a classic movie for years to come, it doesn't quite make you want to watch it over and over again like The Princess Bride does. For its source material, The Princess Bride came out on top in this list. But then again, this is my opinion. Feel free to comment on what your top 5 movies are--because even though this is a book blog, movies are stories too.

Follow me on:

No comments:

Post a Comment