Thursday, October 27, 2011

Review: Fever Series by Karen Marie Moning

Shadowfever (Fever, #5)Shadowfever by Karen Marie Moning

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


I think, in general, this series was alright. It wasn't anything special that made me go bananas, frothing at the mouth. It was just average. It had some high points and some low points, which basically averaged out to an okay adult paranormal series. I probably wouldn't personally recommend it...but I wouldn't discourage reading it either. Bah, I'm really torn.

I guess this is a review for the entire series and Shadowfever. In general, I thought the book's highest points were the mystery and world building. First off, Moning took some risks in centering 5 entire books around a few blocks of Dublin. Also, we have to take into account that she actually DARED to end EVERY SINGLE BOOK on a F-ING HUGE CLIFFHANGER. I'm just glad I read this series when after all the books were published, or I think I might've exploded with the sheer need to read these books. I don't know what about Moning's writing makes her stories so addictive, but no matter how frustrated I get with the characters, I just have to keep coming back for more. Ugh. She had a whole lot of questions but perhaps not enough answers. Needless to say, I was quite disappointed at the ending to the last book in the Fever series because it just didn't deliver a satisfactory ending.

Speaking of the characters, I'll just say this: Moning has confused me, and I'm glad for it. At first, I hated Mac. She was the epitome of the kind of girl I hate; shallow, stupid, and blonde (just kidding on the last part, but she did act like a Barbie). She got herself into all kinds of trouble and then went blame everyone else. She almost made me stop reading. I'm just glad that Moning created a mystery that grabbed onto my conscious and wouldn't let it go until I stopped. Because in the end, I'm glad I stuck through with Mac's character. By book 5, Mac developed into a strong, self-confident protagonist I could actually kind of like. But I'm still a little torn on Barrons. Sometimes he just bugs me. He's animalistic because...well, he's an animal. But gahhh! He and his cohorts just kill me with their... misogyny. I know, I know, this is supposed to tug at the heartstrings of every woman who wants a territorial man to guard you in your sleep. Still, it pissed me off that Barrons would toss around phrases like "I own her" so lightly. *sigh* and yet, I still think he is one sexy beast. :P

Overall, it was an average series that had some high moments. But overall, the characters and ending were just not up to my expectations.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment