Saturday, October 29, 2011

Tamora Pierce Author Signing

Last night, my friends and I (yes, the same friends that accompanied me to the James Dashner signing) went to the Tamora Pierce author meet-greet-and-sign. She was promoting her newest book Mastiff , which is part of the Terrier series following Beka Cooper.


First off, I have to say that Tamora Pierce will forever be my favorite author of all time. There are people that come close like Suzanne Collins and J.K. Rowling, whose books I could die for. But Tamora Pierce's stories have this special place in my heart. I read Alanna: The First Adventure when I was in 3rd grade (I've been told that I was a little young to read it, but I've always been rather mature for my age. And since my sister, who was in 6th grade then, read it first, I had to compete with her and read it myself), and it was that book that pulled me into the world of books in the first place. I've read EVERY book published by Pierce, and Alanna remains as my favorite heroine.


Anyway, the author signing started out with a bang...or not. Pierce started to read a passage from Mastiff in a completely zoned out, this-is-going-to-be-a-long-hour sort of way. Although I worship the ground she walks on, I was a little hesitant to stay if Pierce spoke that way normally. But Pierce fooled us! She read that way on purpose. And then the questions began. Through the Q&A, I realized that Pierce 1) doesn't write with a coherent outline through the entirety of her stories, 2) uses old city maps and baby names for inspiration, and 3) has wicked awesome tattoos on her arms. Unfortunately, I was too star-struck to say anything to her when she signed my book (with a hilarious "girls rule" side note). But it doesn't matter that I didn't speak to her personally. I was two feet away with my childhood hero!!

No comments:

Post a Comment